Monday, March 6, 2017

Book Review: History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera


Title: History Is All You Left Me
Author: Adam Silvera
Published: January 17, 2017
Publisher: Soho Teen



When Griffin’s first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he’s been imagining for himself has gone far off course.

To make things worse, the only person who truly understands his heartache is Jackson. But no matter how much they open up to each other, Griffin’s downward spiral continues. He’s losing himself in his obsessive compulsions and destructive choices, and the secrets he’s been keeping are tearing him apart.

If Griffin is ever to rebuild his future, he must first confront his history, every last heartbreaking piece in the puzzle of his life.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. No payments made between me and the publisher.




This book will surely be in the Top 10 of my 2017 reads. I do loved reading it so much even though I had a hard time to finish it right away, just for two reasons one is work and another is that the book is getting into me. It's sort of triggering my depression and because of that I had to stop before I continue reading it. I could relate to Griffin, losing somebody who's so important to you is hard it's like you're walking with a steel ball attached on your legs. What made me finish the book? I would want to know how Griffin survived and what really happened to Theo? 

Fortunately, this book answered the questions I had in my head. I could say this book is beautiful on so many levels and it is worth reading! I'm just so lucky to have an advanced copy to read this book and share my thoughts to other readers. 

"I don't know how to process being someone worthy of being someone's first kiss, of being someone's first date, of being someone's first time, of being someone's first love."

This book is a story of young boys who spend their lives as best friends until they fall in love with each other. It's about a boy who had his first love, first kiss and first heart break. Griffin lost his best friend and his ex-boyfriend Theo when an accident happened in California. There's nothing he could do since they were living separately and that time Theo was with current boyfriend Jackson. The news felt like a blow to his head and his own depression almost eat him alive. In this book he remembers all the life with Theo as his closest friend and a life without Theo and how he moved on from the darkest moment of his life. 

"Your death is proof that I shouldn't blindly trust these false promises of more years and months and weeks and tomorrows and hours and minutes just because I'm young."

Griffin moving on is the hardest moment on this book, you'll see how lost he was and how refused to talk to other people. Jackson, Theo's boyfriend, became his companion since Theo left. Both guys tried to help each other move on by keeping Theo's memories alive and with that they've learned to accept each other and a friendship started between them. Meanwhile, Wade (the other guy from Theo-Griffin group), had a hard time processing things but he was able to move-on alone. He had his own secret to keep and he was able to reveal his self on this book. 

Anyways, I'm so tempted to reveal everyone's role here but I guess that's for the readers to figure out. Readers must get a copy and discover the life of Griffin. How inspiring and how he survived from his downfall. I could say it wasn't easy but he made it. 

This is beautiful and promising. It's full of love and friendship. It might be a little depressing but this book made me want to spend every single moment of my life as memorable. You won't know how a certain person will remember you like Griffin remembered his special person. History Is All You Left made my heart ache but it made happy too. Such a wonderful book!

"Last year was so impossible and trying, I don't know how I got out of it alive. But I know how I'll be surviving this year. And I still know the hardest part of survival is ahead of me."

My Ratings
This book deserves 10/10!



Adam Silvera was born and raised in the Bronx. He has worked in the publishing industry as a children's bookseller, marketing assistant at a literary development company, and book reviewer of children's and young adult novels. His debut novel, More Happy Than Not, received multiple starred reviews and is a New York Times bestseller, and Adam was selected as a Publishers Weekly Flying Start. He writes full-time in New York City and is tall for no reason.

Represented by Brooks Sherman of the Bent Agency.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...